Sunday, January 20, 2019

Arbor Day

Sunrise over the City today
Today is Tu b'Shvat ... arbor day in Israel and also the beginning of Spring. Almonds trees have begun blossoming, anemones also opening their buds. Some people spend the day planting trees while others like school children are taught about ecology and the flora and fauna of Israel. It's amazing how a little education can change the ecological landscape. A case in point: the wild anemones were once plucked by locals to near extinction. Then a programme was launched to educate children about preserving these anemones, and in turn the children spoke about it to their parents. Plucking stopped and the wild anemones today are flourishing as ever.

Lots of cake
The weather is still cold but sunny. There is something in the air that is causing me to cough severely. It started last week with the severe sandstorm which unfortunately I had to face when going out twice to work. It caused a severe coughing spasm ... and I was just recovering from the bronchitis ... and it has persisted till today. When I'm indoors I'm quite all right. But once outdoors I started coughing. It might be the desert dust/sand still in the air.

This morning I had to run an errand in East Jerusalem. I passed by Natalie's Cakeshop run by my friend and stopped to say hi. He has a lot of cakes now in the shop. I was tempted to buy some home but realising it won't help my coughing, I passed it off. Maybe when I'm better, I'll come back.

The situation in our northern border is worsening. After Israel's bombing of Syria's arms depot in Damascus last week ... today Syria fired missiles into Israel's northern border. Israel's defines shield managed to down the missile before it landed.

Israel on the otherhand is making headway in restoring or initiating rapport with muslim states. Most Arabian Gulf states and north African states have or are ready to recognise Israel. This will isolate the Palestinian Authorities and weaken their position as less muslim support will be garnered.