Thursday, October 14, 2010

Go catch a virus

It was so good to see my former students again - israeli, brasilian, african, polish, italian ... the whole bunch of them. I really missed them and hope I can teach them again in the near future - they hope so too! They want to petition my superiors to allow me to return and teach them. This morning at the Academic Day celebrations, they sang a lovely song set to the words of J.H. Newman's "Lead Kindly Light" - lovely rendition composed by Fr Aurelio for the occasion. Veronica, one of my students, said something funny when she came up to greet me. She said "What happened? You're only half your size now". She hadn't seen me for several months since summer holidays. Anyway on the positive side, my drastic lost of weight has spurred several other guys (overweight) to go on diets and exercise. You can't imagine what they're asking for - boiled veg. diet, green tea.... if only they knew the secret: that sickness can reduce your weight superfast in a week; go catch a virus, guys!

Well I'm getting better from the bout of illness of the last few days ... but still no appetite. The cook is still force feeding me. I was late coming home this morning after attending the Academic Day; and as I also had to see the doc again (my op. is coming up soon but the waiting list is long). Anyway the cook was mad that I was late and got Nadia and Firas to watch me make sure I eat - he cooked buckwheat, mashed potatoes and barbecued chicken. I ate some ... but I was reflecting why everytime when I even think of eating I feel nauseous - am I becoming anorexic? This evening it's Praveen's turn to make sure I eat. It's becoming quite a chore to take care of me ... like babysitting.

Rex had an eye operation yesterday. Poor chap - he's 10 yrs old but he's always still so solid and loyal.