Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Feeling better

Welcome Sr. Lucia! She's the new superior of the Faustina nuns that administer our kitchen and chapels.


The wound has healed and the stitches dissolved. Next week I'll have to go back to hospital for follow-up checkup. However after 5 days of a diet of milk and yoghurt (and lots of diarrhea), today I ate my first solid food - Khalil baked a chilli pepper stuffed with peas and mushrooms; Sr. Vicenta added cheese and tomato salsa on top. It tasted so nice.

Well, it was also very humbling to know people cared. The Faustina nuns kept asking to make sure I had everything I needed, the cooks were constantly on the watch on my diet, the MC sisters called now and again to see if they could help, Sr Paracleta (some of you may remember the Nigerian nun who prays constantly at the Holy Sepulchre) said she prayed that God would put all my illness on her instead since she is now old and has lived a full life while I still have lots to do; and Sr Regina from Ghana told me to remember all the little people around me who make a difference. I'm very grateful to all of them and also to you for your prayers. Today I'm feeling better and had gone down to join the community for dinner.

I discovered that Munir aka Abu George who runs one of the few catholic grocery stores in the Old City, had renovated his store (out of competition with the muslim one which is very large) and now sells pumpkin bread, muesli bread, 3 grain bread and sunflower seed bread. Fantastic. Will get my supply from him. Instead of breakfast and lunch which I never eat, I now can manage brunch comprising two pieces of 3 grain bread with eggplant spread. That keeps me going till 6pm or 8pm for dinner.