Saturday, October 16, 2010

chill out

OK, it's chill out time. Everyone here is saying I'm at my snapping point now; been so drawn taut emotionally, psychologically, physically the past week everyone here thinks I'll breakdown soon and they'll have to send me to the looney house.

So today I decided to put my books aside (phone, people etc... everything) and chill out. Searched out the latest news on X Factor UK and found the newly formed boyband One Direction did a fantastic version of Coldplay's Viva la Vida. Zayn Malik fouled up at the end but still they pulled through with lauds from the judges. Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lINAdS73SI

Viva la Vida is a very catchy song ... I bet you'll want to hear it again after the first time. Very intelligent lyrics - a fantastic play of biblical imagery (pillars of salt, head on a silver plate, St Peter,  etc.. see how many you can catch). It's about a monarch/ruler/authority who's been deposed, and it's from this point of view that the song is written. This song has engendered lively discussion - who is this deposed monarch? what are the biblical images? Some posit King David, or Solomon, or Napolean or Stalin or Hitler or the Church or a regime. I first thought of King Lear! Some say it's anti-authoritarian etc... Everyone has views on this song, and no one is necessarily wrong. A smart song - it makes people think and discuss. The very biblical (Catholic) imagery, with strong orchestral swirls of bells (Jerusalem bells) and heartbeat drum pounding .... it sometimes verges on drowning the lyrics (not just vocals) but somehow the despondent voice of a crumbling power is carried through in direct contradiction to the consistant, solid thumping. I have my own views about "Roman cavalry choirs are singing" ... some people think it should be "Roman Calvary choirs ...." which they argue is more consistant with the "Jerusalem bells" image. But I think both "cavalry" and "Calvary" don't make sense with "choirs". I think "Roman Catholic choirs" would make more sense.

Anyhow here's the full song with lyrics (click the description window below the video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2txn_Kktyw0&feature=related

and here's the official music video by Coldplay. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTSG5PGCceM&feature=related