It's 1.35am. I just got back from Vigils at the Holy Sepulchre. It was so crowded. Vigils consist of a hymn, 3 psalms, 2 canticles, 2 long readings (from the Bible and one of the Fathers of the Church), then the Benedictus with procession around the Tomb of Christ singing "The Angel rolled the stone ...", then intercessions, the proclamation of the Gospel of Christ's resurrection and final blessing.
It was good to be there, even though many of us were tired after a day's work. Vigils started at 11.40pm the night before. As I seldom go out nowadays, I seldom see many of the friars from St. Saviour's. During Vigils I got to see many of them. It was so good to be among brothers. We're so international here - from over 30 countries. And the fraternity and camaraderie are always so good. It made me very happy. I was particularly happy because I made an unusual request to go up the gallery of the Basilica during the procession to film this unique event (you'll get to see it on Eternal Light webcast) and the superior of the Holy Sepulchre, the Custodial Secretary and the Head of Status Quo all made arrangements for it to be possible. That meant getting the agreement of the Greek Orthodox and the Armenian Orthodox as well. And the gallery is off limits. So to be able to be up there and film the procession was really unique, and the friars were very kind in helping arrange for this.
I prayed for you all. And also stopped at the foot of Mt Calvary to say a prayer for you.
From our monastery, only me and the superior went to Vigils - and our two sisters from the kitchen. As going home is dangerous in our neighbourhood, we decided to walk back together. The rain had stopped and the ground was pretty wet and slippery. And it was cold.
I don;t feel sleepy now, but awfully hungry. I think I'll stay up and do some reading and praying till Mass at 6.30am. Most of the people who went for Vigils attend Mass immediately on Mt Calvary and remain to pray till 6am. Now that's a real vigil!