Sorry but I didn't make it to the Vigils last night. I was working on a paper and when I looked at the watch, it was already midnight ... too late to get to the Holy Sepulchre on time. Will do so next Saturday. But I did pray for you all during Mass this morning.
Sunday mornings as usual - clean the birdcage, feed the canaries (a couple tried to escape). But didn't clean my room. Nor did I have time to watch my usual Sunday Christian movie. I wanted to finish that paper. At 9.15am Fr Buscemi and I went out for our usual Sunday walk (4 km). Purim is round the corner so we bought some festive jewish cookies ("Hamam's ears". Don't know who he is? Read the Book of Esther and see its connection to the feast of Purim) as a treat.
While working on my paper, a strange thing happened on my computer. A window opened to say my computer was infected with lots of viruses. But I noticed this warning came from Skype ... which is pretty strange for me. When it asked if I should erase the viruses, I clicked yes. Then another window popped up and asked me to buy a programme to erase the viruses. It asked for credit card details etc.... I was pretty suspicious but since I know nothing about computers and programmes, I decided to play safe and not go ahead with the purchase. Turned off my computer instead. I'm terrified of these things because I can't verify if it's true. And two computers have already been infected and spoilt. I had to leave them in the library for some people who do not have computers of their own, and they need to do some research for me. What a disaster!
Healthwise my asthma is under control. Have been taking medicine regularly but only now found out the meds are expired. Never mind. As long as it works, I'll take it. But I'm utterly exhausted from work. The back (slipped disc) is still hurting but not as acute. Feet still get swollen every morning.
Anyway today's reading is on the Temptations. We all know the story. But more importantly we all identify with the temptations. The urge to fill the stomach, to get rich and to be famous runs like a movie theme down the centuries - from paupers to kings. Let's pray this Lent that we can overcome these empty promises of the devil and strive for what Christ offers - eternal life ... through the hard and narrow way.