Thursday, February 25, 2010

Fasting

I forgot that during Lent we fast two days a week - wednesday and friday. Yesterday (Wednesday) I invited a friend over for lunch - Fr Erik Ruiz, a first year student who said he never saw our monastery at all. Imagine my embarrassment when all we had was plain water, pea soup and a small piece of fish each (small - I mean 3 inches by 2 inches). Erik was shocked to say the least - he stays in another hostel where they don't fast. Of course we laughed about it, and he said he had enough food just to fill the space between his teeth. He can be very sarcastic. But he's great fun all the same. Aaahhh I'll have to be careful when to invite people over.

The violence is bad here in Hebron and Bethlehem. The Israelis have declared two shrines (Tombs of the Patriarchs and Matriarchs) in Palestinian land to be National (Israeli) heritage monuments. That means the Israelis will takeover the land, all access roads, build road blocks and check-points in these areas so normal travel will be hindered. Palestinians have staged a strike and then outright violence in the streets in both cities. Here in the Old City there're lots of police everywhere. Yesterday afternoon, soldiers ran down our street ordering us to close our doors and gates. I'm afraid it'll get worse this weekend.

By the way, the weather turned 180 degrees today - it's blustering cold and raining.

Today's reading was from the Book of Esther. The unlikely heroine who had no courage, strength, authority or influence. Yet with a simple thing like beauty, she conquered her enemy. (Well she actually fasted for 3 days previously) So what's you deal? God has given you a little gift - don't overlook it - it may be the most obvious thing in your life. Use it for God's purpose. You can change the world! Esther did!