Friday, June 20, 2008

Ice cream?

The weather is holding up the heat .... and everyone is feeling it. But its summer holidays anyway so people go to the beaches, or to the Dead Sea and enjoy the heat. The rest of us stay indoors.

Yesterday was a mad rush to get as much medicine as I can because today is Friday and the pharmacies are closed for 2 days (remember the weekend here is Friday - Saturday) and I have to leave for Dar es Salaam on Sunday. Managed to get what I needed. But couldn't come home in time to do something for the superior, and he wasn't at all happy.

Didn't have an asthma attack in the last 24 hours, so things are getting better. Of course the dry heat of the weather is also a big help. Hhmmm I wonder if I should get an ice cream today. Sounds tempting. When you have to consider that a cornetto costs HK$20 here, usually the thought of having an ice cream remains just that - a thought.

I think I shall go to the Way of the Cross today, even if I dislike confronting the inevitable nasty things that will happen along the way. I'll get to meet some people there that I have to say goodbye for the summer. Which reminds me this morning I went to see the Custos to say thanks for the support he gave during this academic year - it's a nicety that I do, but I'm really sincere. He offers room and board so I don't have to worry about it and can study better. And besides he's my good friend and its nice to say bye for the summer till I see him again in autumn (I hope. He asked when we will meet again and I wasn't sure, so he was alittle disconcerted.) I have many good friends - brothers - here in the Holyland and its really a treasure to stay around here with them. You guys know well my feelings - how much I like the Holyland; but its not just the land that I like. It's these nice people who make the land "holy".