Today's reading for Mass presents a man of principles (Naboth, he refused to sell his ancestral land), a man focussed only on his aim (King Ahab, he wanted Naboth's land), and a woman focussed on the means (Queen Jezebel, who churned out a scheme to take over Naboth's land). Now the king was not going to rob Naboth: Ahab was righteous insofar as he was willing to exchange the land either for another land or its equivalent in money. He offered a just exchange; all he wanted was Naboth's land. When he could not achieve his aim, he was distraught: for him, getting the land = success and not getting the land = failure. He was wallowing in what he perceived as failure. Queen Jezebel was focussed on the means of getting the land. She thought out the scheme and involved others to carry it out. It did not matter if it was a trumped up charge and an innocent man died. The end justified the means, no matter how unscrupulous the means was. King Ahab on the otherhand was so focussed on the end he didn't even ask how Jezebel got the land. Don't ask, don't tell. Ahab's conscience was clear...or seemingly so. Jezebel didn't even have a conscience.
Sadly it is the man of principles, who held on to God's Law and was righteous, who suffered and died as a result. He had a conscience to honour his ancestors and their property. It is almost disheartening to read that those who are obedient to God must suffer, while the unrighteous flourish and profit. But the story doesn't end here....you'll have to see tomorrow's reading! For now it's enough to reflect on ourselves and our society, on how people behave in their economic, social and religious lives - are we goal oriented? or means oriented (strategists)? or are we faithful believers of God? ... is it worth it?
OK so yesterday I broke my promise to Alexander because I didn't take half an hour off to walk in the sun ... I was so caught up with finishing my work because today the library opens and the other students will want to use the books that I'm also using. I have to give it to them today. Aaaaaghh it's such a struggle to get one page done when the books are not available!
The weather as usual is pretty hot in the 30s. Sr. Geronima is leaving for good in two weeks' time and a new sister, Sr. Justina will be coming to take over her place. Unfortunately I'm leaving for Dar es Salaam this weekend for a conference (10 days) on the Bible so I won't get to send Sr. Geronima off. Or William for that matter. He leaves on June 30th and I'm out of town.
Don't forget the annual BookFair starts on July 26th so I hope to see you all there!