Today's reading tells us how Elijah left in a fiery chariot. Spectacular, but what is even more spectacular is that Elisha his successor asked for a double portion of Elijah's spirit. Sounds like the disciple wants to be better than the master. Remember Elijah's words to God on Mt Sinai? - "I am filled with zealous zeal for the God Sabaoth" - Elisha wants to be more zealous, to love God more. That is the double portion of Elijah's spirit. Sure we should never be greedy or be unduly competitive or trying always to outdo others; but when it comes to holiness and love of God, there's no limit: we're all called to be perfect since God is perfect, and God's perfection is infinite. Ready to stretch your limits in holiness?
Yesterday I had to go to Bethlehem and do something for the Franciscan community there. But after lunch at the Missioanries of Charity's convent, I was brought to the monastery of the Perpetual Adorers nuns that came to the Holyland only 9 months ago. They're cloistered and adore the Blessed Sacrament 24 hrs a day. They recited None (that means "9" in latin, that is, the ninth hour prayer = psalms) and had a short procession in the Milk grotto. Their monastery is next to the grotto. Don't know where that is? Check out the internet! Then when I tohught I could go home, I was brought to the Bridgettine nuns on the other side of Bethlehem. They're semi-contemplative. We sang vespers together and after that they offered us drinks (it was very warm; well over 35 degrees). It was nice to meet them. Then Thiago drove me home. I am dead tired today. And my asthma isn't helping.