Thursday, July 1, 2021

Early dementia?

Sprinklers at Rockefeller Park 
 It's bad enough that the heatwave is upon us ... now we're attacked by mosquitoes and ticks. Everyone is getting bitten. Both my feet are dotted with red bite marks that itch terribly. Ticks from stray cats are everywhere and a walk through the streets will ensure feet bitten by hundreds of wandering parasites. The stray cats are a major problem in the Old City ... but without them the rats will proliferate.

Unfortunately I have to walk through those streets every morning because I've been assigned to celebrate Mass for the Sisters of Ivrea who live 1km away from the Old City in the neighbourhood of Wadi Jooz (Kidron Valley). It's a nice walk as the sun is already up ... the sun rises at 2.30am now. By 5.30am when I go to their convent, it's bright, hot and sunny. Some kids enjoy their holidays and come early to Rockefeller Park to play. The sprinklers are on early in the morning as well, so the kids play around the water. The air is rather clean at that time so I take a slow walk around and breathe in some clean air which I cannot get in the Old City.

Ancient olive trees
I had another class this afternoon ... but I was struggling so hard to find the words. I could hardly finish a sentence ... the words are stuck in my head. It's alot more serious than last week. I can see it's deteriorating. People tell me I'm overworked and stressed. But that's not going to stop the workload. I can feel the physical and mental exhaustion weighing down like the heatwave.  I might just slowly lose my cognitive senses and get dementia.