Saturday, July 3, 2021

Terror mosquitoes

Sunrise at Palm Plaza today
A very busy morning for me today. I started working at 4am: throwing out the garbage of the community which means carrying the sacks down 5 floors and bringing them to the dumpster out in the streets, then preparing the bread for the community breakfast, then watering the plants in the courtyard because the heatwave is withering every single tree and flower. Then it was shower time and cleaning the room before going to the Ivrea Convent for Mass at 5.50am which is 1km away. 

After Mass there I had to walk 3km across the City to the western side where I had to celebrate Mass for the Ethiopic community at 8.30am. Though the chapel is quite far away, I enjoy going there because the eritreans and ethiopians are such nice people ... very shy and spare in speech ... but very devoted and pious. And their singing is legendary.

Mosquito bitten
After that 2nd Mass, I walked back to my office at New Gate because I was simply too tired.  My bp was 147/89 ... which may be normal for some people but it is high for me. The heatwave didn't help. I stayed in my office with the aircon on in order to keep my temp down and hopefully lower the bp. There I repotted the mostera plants at the library door that were getting too old and lanky. The 4 pots were heavy and repotting them into bigger pots required alot of energy. Still I managed to do everything alone ... which is a good sign.

The tiny "mosquitoes" ... I think they're something else ... continue to torture everyone. They're so small you hardly see them but their bite is 10 times worse than mosquitoes. Spraying repellant only helps for a short while. I hope the heatwave ends as it's encourage these bloodsuckers to proliferate. Sometimes they give me a fever and nausea, but the worst is the itch. You just want to peel off your flesh. It's the perfect torture ... it drives you mad without killing you.