Saturday, February 29, 2020

Rest

Bedouin veggie vendors today
Yesterday's fast was a success. I didn't eat anything from 4am to 8pm but drank lots of water. I managed to rest a bit but I also came to work in the evening. And I didn't feel hungry at all. In fact Main restaurant's Linda boiled chinese soup for me but I gave it to one of my workers instead. I felt fine. But I slept early as the doc advised ... to strengthen my resistance to illness.

This morning I was up at 4am to prepare for a retreat I have to preach. At 4am I had time to do things slowly so I don't forget anything. By 7am I was out of the house .... I don't want to be among crowds in case I catch any illness from them. You can never be too cautious. Better safe than sorry. Our grocery store sent a message saying they have boxes of alcohol gel so I quickly went over to get 2 bottles.  You can never be too sure.

Blooming almond tree
The weather has gone all cold and drizzly again. A huge change from yesterday's sunny warmth. I noticed the bedouin veggie vendors were particularly happy. The cold and drizzle keep their veggies fresh. In summer the sun burns and dries them up so by 1pm they are ruined and cannot be sold.

Finally the almond trees at Damascus Gate are blooming. The beautiful pink blossoms crown the bare branches and the fragrance is very delicately sweet. I might go to the cemetery and pluck a few branches back for our Madonna altar.

I've been thinking about how advanced humanity has come in technology and science ... yet it cannot fight a microscopic half-living thing called a virus. God used such a tiny thing to make the entire world kneel before him. It's awesome ... it's humbling. But if we can't hear God behind it all .... then we've learned nothing.