Tuesday, February 4, 2020

On racism and reason

Strawberry season
And while the anti-chinese and anti-asian racism grows, there's been calls by some newspaper editors and commentators for reason and compassion. Not sure if these calls will be heeded as social media continue to show locals reacting negatively when approaching asians. The greatest scourge is not the virus but the irrational hatred that is generated from ignorance. That one will linger for generations while the virus itself will be eradicated. We should fear the virus and not the victims ... that's the common call throughout social media.

The needless death of a cerebral palsy teenager because his father was quarantined is a wake up call on how compassion and reason has been lost. It is such a tragedy.  I continue to stay at home or at work ... not going to buy anything except from a couple of closeby shops who know me well. A couple of nights back when I was coming home from work, there were some local youths calling out "Corona" and "Get out" at me at New Gate. It's not a safe feeling. Well this afternoon there is the inauguration of our new hostel in Mamilla and I must attend. It'll be an exception. My friend had invited me out to lunch earlier today but I finally decided not to risk any ugly scenes in the restaurant by declining. The poor chap was all dressed and came from quite a distance .... I guess I'll make it up to him one day.
https://www.ynetnews.com/article/BkQsenUzI?fbclid=IwAR1EIomAJd5ux2dA1n3EsDjA1iLPsZ6D4DAyn_-zQuRMcMn848q-bTQOhX4#autoplay

Meantime Spring seems to be ending and Summer has started. In fact the jewish "Arbor Day" feast or Tu b'Shvat starts this Sunday evening Feb 9th and will end the following sunset. It's known as the birthday of the trees ... and it's not simply a fun feast day to celebrate the coming of warm weather. Rather it was meant by the ancient Israelites to count which trees are taxable based on the age of the trees. Though such taxation is no longer in practice because there is no more Temple, the feast day is still observed.