Thursday, February 27, 2020

Of corona and chives

Buying garlic chives
... and things are getting serious .... now that Saudi Arabia has banned foreigners from entering the country for the haj. And Israel has advised all Israelis from traveling abroad. I've been thinking alot about this and futile it is because firstly no one knows how many arabs in Palestine are infected. There is no procedure or control over the virus in there. Secondly as long as the palestinians continue to enter and leave Israel for work or whatever, the virus will continue to spread.  So blocking foreigners is not a solution ... it will only slow down and limit contamination from abroad ... but the local contamination will only get worse.

My doc is going to love my lenten regime: total vegetarian diet. He's been telling me that for some time and I kept it for a while but when I have to rely only on leftover kitchen food ... many times I have no choice. Mind you I'm eating only white meat when I have to. No red meat for the past 8 months. But my blood pressure and sugar is very high and my liver or pancreas has been hurting twice this week. But my cold sore is gone and my coughing is over .... it's due to the cumulating phlegm. A good walk in the fresh air clears the throat and lungs and I'm ok. Still doc insists that I'm overworked and have insufficient sleep so my resistance is very low. All I need is rest, sleep and simple fresh veggies and fruit. And keep me far away from problematic people ...... please.

Garlic chive dumplings
Yesterday while at Jaffa, I took the opportunity to go to the wet market to buy garlic chives. Our chinese sisters love it and use it alot in their cooking. But it's never sold here in Jerusalem. In Jaffa they sell lots of it. I bought 5 bunches ... making sure I didn't buy shallots like I did the last time. Today the sisters made garlic chive dumplings. That's in keeping with my vegetarian diet. Good stuff!!

Anyway garlic, onions and their leaves are good to keep away the cold virus. And I'm avoiding crowds at all cost .... especially italians. This morning Israel has barred them from entering the country.