Monday, March 29, 2010

Holy Monday.

This morning I was at Mass at the 5th Station ... which takes place once a year on Holy Monday. Every half hour there's a Mass. And unusually they were all very crowded. Well over 60 people for each Mass, many having to stand outside the small chapel. I remembered you all there.

Wasn't feeling too well during Mass as I only slept 2 hours last night. The fever and cough and congested lungs kept me awake the whole night. And I'm not the only one ... Fr Giovanni Loche is going through the same illness. We're both wrecks.

This evening the Jewish Passover begins. Already the West Bank has been closed off; people have been stuck in Bethlehem and cannot come to Jerusalem including some of our workers. Today they'll close off the Old City as well. I don't expect any violence or resistance but when they close the Old City again for Holy Saturday - barring entry into the Holy Sepulchre the many pilgrims and local christians - I think there'll be scuffles.

By the way if you want to watch the Mass of the Palms at the Holy Sepulchre, here it is (in italian):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlNzyJ6c2Eg