Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Bashed

These few days of violence and rioting are taking its toll on me. I'm a nervous wreck. This morning I cleaned out the bird cage as usual. But suddenly a military helicopter hovered above our  courtyard ... very low and twice at that. At the second descend, I could see the head of a soldier popping out from the side and my first thought was "He's going to shoot". Memories of riotings and shootings flashed. Panic! I ran back to the house, but bashed my hand against the door. Now it's all swollen and very painful. Black and blue.

Anyway it's Wednesday in Lent, which means we have solemn Mass and the singing of the Passion of Christ in one of the "Passion" churches - Dominus Flevit (The Lord wept) on Mt. of Olives, then the Garden of Gethsemani and today our Chapel of the Flagellation. All in latin and the singing is done in parts. Quite nice if the singers are good ... all friars of course.

In Holy Week, the 5th Station gets its turn when we can celebrate Mass there. This happens only once a year. A rare occasion.

And the temperature dropped to 10 degrees today .... from 20 something! It's so weird. That's not helping my poor left hand that's all bruised. The cold only accentuates the pain.