 |
Green papaya salad and char kway teow |
This morning I went down to our chapel for Mass only to find we were barely 5 concelebrants out of some 30+ living in the house. After the Mass in the sacristy, we were told that most were in quarantine because they were in close contact with a father from another monastery who is now tested positive for corona. They had gone to join the reparation Mass at Gethsemani and then at the ordination Mass of 3 deacons. Now they are suspected but not tested yet for the virus. I was told to be very careful so now I wear even the mask at home. What a disaster. I've decided to isolate myself i my room for the next week because I might be having symptoms of the virus ... cough, breathlessness when walking or climbing stairs. Everyone tells me that's me usually because of my asthma. True. I might becoming paranoid.
I went up to my office 1km away to gather all my books so I can work in my room for the next week. The 2 satchels weighed over 5 kgs and I had a hard time carrying them back. But I made it. Only a little breathless and no pain in the chest despite climbing the hill. Good sign ... a covid victim would not have been able to do this.
 |
Christmas tree at LaSalle College |
One consolation. My Thai student cooked green papaya salad and pahd si yew (thai char kway teow). It was very delicious ... especially since I hadn't eaten anything all day, just rushing about to finish all my work and trying to get home. I missed eating thai food because I don't go to Tel Aviv anymore to buy food from my favourite thai restaurant. It's the food closest to home.
The huge Christmas Tree at the La Salle College inside New Gate has been installed. A sense of Christmas ... despite the raising infection rates. The govt has backed down from the nighty curfew so everything is back to normal. Very strange. If in any other country, the law would have been enforced immediately and forcefully. Here infections are around 1800 a day and things are still open and relaxed. Unbelievable.