Monday, December 7, 2020

Another week

Georgette makes
burbara
Yesterday a Mass was celebrated at Gethsemani in reparation for the sacrilege committed on Saturday when a jew burnt parts of the basilica. Everyone is asking, "where's next?" These attacks tend to be followed by copy-cat attacks. 

A 3rd lockdown is under discussion as the Knesset meets today. Infection rates have shot up both in Israel and the Palestinian Territories, over a 1000 in 3 days running. Borders might be closed. Then that's the end of Christmas if we cannot go visit the birthplace of Christ. It's happened before during the wars and muslim threats. The important thing for us is that we keep Christmas spiritually alive in our homes. Some chinese catholic migrant workers are hoping to go to Bethlehem but we'll have to update them daily to see if it's possible. Otherwise we'll celebrate Christmas here in Jerusalem with other chinese religious. Rather sad but there's nothing we can do.

Sr. Regina at the
souvenir shop
Here's a photo of Georgette our chef making burbara on the feast of St. Barbara. Lots of barley and cereal. Ought to be healthy except alot of sugar is added later in the cooking. I like burbara but I'm cautious as I'm diabetic. 

The rains have stopped but the skies continue to be overcast and gloomy. The temp has risen by 1 degree which in effect makes no difference to us. It still feels terribly cold. That doesn't help my toothache which is like a sledgehammer bashing my head. My plantar fasciitis is almost gone as my insole is doing a good job. However I have a sharp pain in my abdomen area whenever I cough ... feels like a hernia. I've had a hernia in the diaphragm before so I'm quite worried. It makes coughing up the phlegm very difficult so I'm left choking most of the time. Health issues are a heavy cross. And it's not easy to see the doctor due to cover restrictions. Let's hope for the best. 

I had to preach the Advent retreat for the english-speaking sisters in the Judea district. All via Zoom of course. I used to preach to them for the past several years and it was good to see most of them again ... even if online.