Monday, August 20, 2018

Walkabout

Singaporean breakfast at last!
Tomorrow night the muslim feast of Adha begins but already yesterday night temporary stalls were set up all around Damascus Gate down to Herod's Gate. Busdliads of muslim pilgrims from all around the country have been packing into the Old City to enter the Al Aqsa mosque. And Turkish and Indonesian muslim pilgrims form a huge number of foreign visitors. Security has been stepped up but so far things look positive. I hope the next few days will be free from trouble and everyone can go on with their lives.
Schindler's tomb
Well I am enjoying my own feast. Had a huge load of Singapore goodies arrive yesterday. I had Char Kway Teow and Mee Pok, Chui Kway and curry puffs. Ate too much. Had a tummy ache in the afternoon. But I still enjoyed it. That's a nice Summer Sunday breakfast to break from the routine. I am rationing all these food so I have something different to eat  each week.

This morning I decided to take a walk outside the southern part of the City. Visited Oscar Schindler's tomb in our cemetery on Mt. Zion. Many jews continue to come and thank him .... they leave a stone on his tomb as a memorial. Then I walked through the Suq (market) and the Last Supper Room, the Wailing Wall to see Bar Mitzva ceremonies before coming home. It was very crowded and there were many bar matzot.

I think this evening I'll go see the festivities of Adha in East Jerusalem ... or perhaps the music festival at the Lutheran Church in the Old City ... whichever is less crowded.

Meantime the floods in Kerala and the earthquakes in Indonesia are the talk of town. Everyone is talking about climate change and end of the world. It's certainly apocalyptic to say the least. Other signs of violence seem to have quieten down and the country is on a lull except for the coming Adha feast.