Sunday, August 5, 2018

18th ordinary Sunday

Today's breakfast
It's another Sunday ... but today I didn't have to go celebrate the Armenian Mass. I tried to keep the day a little more quiet and low-key. Mass was at 7am and after that it was cleaning up my room and eating my breakfast. That's the best part of summer Sundays. I'm rationing out the Singaporean food brought over by my family and deep-freezed. Each Sunday I bring out a couple of packs and steam them for breakfast. That means waking up at 2am to start the steaming process. But it's worth it. A taste of home.

Painter at Agrippas street
Then it's going to the New City to do some chores. That meant going up near the Mahane Yehuda market to the asian grocery to get coconut milk and curry leaves so I can cook some curry for our indian sisters. I thought of buying some toiletries and stuff but decided I should save instead. They're not so important and I can do without them. Usually I get into a dialogue with myself ... arguing if I should buy something or not, weighting the pros and cons, and usually I end up convincing myself not to buy it. I guess people think I'm nuts when they see me talking to myself in the streets. But who cares? It saves me money and time not to buy things. Well I did buy a huge net though ... the museum staff asked if I could get one because the open cistern was getting polluted with fallen leaves and insects. Along the way at Agrippas street, I saw an old artist painting a street scene. It was about a metre long so it must have taken her several weeks to paint it. Perseverance.

The jewish nation-state law is again the burning topic today. 40 former israeli diplomats called for the end of this law but an ex-PM aid told the protesting Druze to go to Syria if they are not happy in Israel. That is very provocative since the Druze have fought side-by-side with jews to establish the modern state of Israel.  https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5322838,00.html
and  https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5322806,00.html

Meantime we received news that for the past 2 months, jewish extremists have destroyed over 2000 arab trees and orchards but were never investigated, arrested or charged. This is the consequence of a jewish nation-state law ... it makes all non-jews targets.   https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-more-than-2-000-trees-in-west-bank-villages-destroyed-in-two-months-1.6336657