Friday, April 20, 2018

Long weekend

Our sisters with a giant amaryllis
Independence Day is over but the celebrations continue. It's Friday and the beginning of the weekend so given the last 2 days' celebrations, it's 4 days off. A really long weekend. Real work begins on Sunday. This morning I read about the parade in Tel Aviv and what I missed. Still feeling very sore that I had to give it up. There's also a video clip on the flypass.    https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5233723,00.html

There were minor clashes in some parts of the Palestinian Territories during the national celebrations.  A terrorist attempt to blow up some people was thwarted at a checkpoint.  https://www.haaretz.com/.premium-20-000-march-to-mark-catastrophe-of-israeli-independence-1.6012681   and
https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5233904,00.html

Being Friday, the police and soldiers are ready for another round of violent clashes at the borders. Many have already died ... let's hope today will see less casualties.  http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/IDF-prepares-for-another-round-of-violent-protests-on-Gaza-border-551309

Beefball noodles
As I had corrected the last chapters of various theses, I am for the moment free from that work. I've thought about sleeping through the day, as many of my students tell me, because the past week I've been doing so much corrections I had only 3 hours to sleep each day. Today I'm totally worn out ... but the strange thing is when you've passed the threshold of fatigue, you don't feel sleepy. The brain just goes numb. I may need another walk to clear the mind and the body clock is ready for sleep.

Yesterday I finally could treat myself to a beefball noodle meal. After 10 days of handwork correcting texts, I thought a good hot meal was what I needed to replenish. It was expensive, and there weren't much noodles but there were a dozen beefballs though ... from Vancouver I was told.

Tomorrow I have to preach a retreat  and I have the strange feeling there's still one late paper that I'll be asked to correct. I'll have to be mentally prepared for that. A old retired professor I met this morning said "condolences" when he saw me correcting the theses. He knows what it's like ... he had many years of experience correcting theses.