Thursday, April 5, 2018

Birthday

Sr. Clara and
my flowers
Yesterday Holy Wednesday I took a day off. I didn't have normal work in the library. In fact this week I have been given a special job to do ... guiding some VIPs. That's why I didn't have time to update my blog. But yesterday I asked for a day off ... I didn't feel secure enough to go to Galilee, with my IBS. And thank goodness too. The friar who substituted me had such an intense day, and with the jewish holiday traffic, the group came home at past 10pm ... and they started off at 5.15am. Really I'm glad I didn't do it. They were stuck in a 10km traffic jam on the way home.

Yes .. it was also my birthday yesterday. Without the group, I was less stressed and was able to have a quiet day. I corrected one term paper and then went to the other library to settle some work log. Then I took a slow walk around the New City looking for a nice lunch. I wanted rice or noodles but because no leaven is allowed during the Jewish Passover, all those restaurants were closed. It was disappointing. Finally I found IWO's opened ... non-kosher and hence serving bread and bacon. I ordered a crispy bacon burger and a coke. The guys working there recognised me and we chatted a lot. That made my day.

Church of the Good
Shepherd in Jericho
I managed also to do a little gardening. All the summer flowers are blooming. Magnificent pinks and purples. Sr. Clara liked them very much and made many photos while I tidied up the courtyard.

Today I had to bring the group to Masada and Jericho. Thankfully it was a copy day so it wasn't very hot. We visited the north and western palaces and then I had to rush them back to Jericho for lunch, stopping by the Baptismal site in Qasr el Yehudi. Then it was lunch at the Mt. of Temptation restaurant where I met up with some old friends I haven't seen in 5 years ... they work in there and I haven't been to Jericho for a long time. Then it was Mass at our parish of the Good Shepherd. I was so surprised to find the broken down church totally renovated, and the dark damp friary is not bright and airy. It was so beautiful. The poor christians in the muslim majority of Jericho must feel so happy this Easter to be able to worship in a decent church.

Mind you I've had several wheeling attacks ... not full blown asthma.. and my left ankle is hurting like crazy. But it was a good day out. That's a perfect birthday present.