Thursday, April 19, 2018

Independence Day

Picnics in the parks today
Today is Yom HaAtzmaut ... or Independence Day ... 70 years to be exact. I was utterly utterly devastated as this is the first time I could not go to Jaffa for independence Day. I was stuck at home correcting theses of students. I slept 3 hours last night finishing one thesis when at 1.30am I received another chapter for correction. I was despairing. I only managed to finish this other chapter at 12pm. I was hoping I could see the flypass since the major event takes place in Tel Aviv beach but makes a detour over Jerusalem. I went out to the southern park since the open space offers a better view of the fighter planes.

When I reached the parks, it was filled with smoke from countless barbecues. Throughout the City, any patch of grass was home to a family lying out to sunbathe and a portable barbecue pit smoking with meat. Well park after park was packed so it was unlikely I could see the flypass as the smoke was intense. I decided the to walk to the German Colony neighbourhood to get some lunch ... only to realise when I arrived that on Independence Day, every shop shuts. Tired and hungry, I walked back 3 kms. Just then I could hear the planes flying overhead ... but the street was too narrow to offer a good view ... so that's how it was for me ... I only heard the flypass. Utterly disappointed.

My friend Naor celebrated his birthday yesterday and he managed to get a day off from security work. I told him to go to Tel Aviv and parties as Jerusalem are very conservative and Independence Day street parties are not as fun. So he went with 2 other friends. This afternoon he messaged me to say all 3 of them had their cellphones stolen at the party. Poor chaps.

Jaffa Street packed with people
Well last night Jerusalem's Municipality Square had patriotic concerts and the streets were utterly packed with people. Nothing much happened as in parties. People just carried flags and walked ... it's making a statement that "we're here to stay". A small fireworks display was fired from Independence Park opposite the Salesian seminary. Nothing to wow about if you've seen asian displays ... but for the locals, it's a big deal.

Mind you, it was nothing to celebrate for the arabs. East Jerusalem was deadly quiet. The arabs see Israel's Independence Day as their loss of their land and properties and citizenship.

Last night was so hot ... about 21 degrees ... I needed to turn on the fan in order to sleep. Soon I'll have to bring out the portable aircon because my room is one of the hottest in the house ... directly under morning, afternoon and evening sun with a bell tower in front of my window blocking out any wind. Today was 28 degrees. A good indication what mid-summer will be heat wise.