Thursday, October 12, 2017

Stromata

Sunrise at Damascus Gate
Yesterday ended quite badly as Sukkoth was winding up. A large group of jewish youths ran amok in the Muslim Quarter, attacking arabs, vandalizing property including shops and cars and motorbikes ... and only 20 soldiers were sent to control the situation. No one was arrested ... the youths were simply escorted out of the Old City through Damascus Gate. If this were done by arabs on jewish property, there would be hoards of soldiers making arrests. Somehow the spirit of Yom Kippur and Sukkoth hasn't got deep down enough into the heart. It makes Judaism as much a farce as muslims who attack in the name of their religion. No difference. But different consequences.   https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.816890

And an other dreadful piece of news ... ISIS which has escaped Aleppo and Raqqa in these few days ... have gathered near the northern Israeli border to establishing a training camp. Sounds bad ... but actually it is right under the nose of Israeli and its radar ... so in a way it's good. We can keep a close eye on their movements.  http://www.jerusalemonline.com/news/middle-east/israel-and-the-middle-east/isis-establishes-camp-near-israeli-border-31665

And a slap in the face for the ultra-orthodox who pressured the Municipality of Jerusalem to cancel the Science Festival .... the festival organizers have decided to go ahead by planning an alternative festival without govt. or Municipality support.  http://www.jpost.com/jerusalem/Liberal-groups-to-hold-alternative-Space-Week-in-Jerusalem-507107

Student in the
library
School is in full swing and work in the library is now back to its busy routine. In between the 2 libraries that I run, I have classes on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday ... approx. 10 hours a week. That is exhausting and I still haven't got my summer vacation. I must fight for it ... but it's a losing battle. I can't cancel all the classes.

I twisted my ankle yesterday. Not serious but it makes walking terribly inconvenient especially when you have to climb up all the stairs 1km to work. And the weather is crazy ... it gets so cold at night ... below 15 degrees but daytime is hot. Lucky I got my flu shot so I won't have to worry about catching the flu. What I need is to catch some sleep.