No updates on my blog the last 2 days as I was rushing to meet a dateline. It's past 2 days now and I'm behind time. Am still trying my best to finish this article and send it to the editor so this blog entry will be short.
 |
| Mid-autumn festival dinner |
Last evening the chinese speaking community of religious in Jerusalem met to celebrate Mid-Autumn Festival. We had to anticipate the celebration which actually falls on Thursday because some of us will be away guiding groups or studying because the academic year has started. Yesterday we had Mass at the Salesian chapel first, then we went down to the Chinese Sisters convent for dinner. The sisters made dumplings and northern style mooncakes filled with nuts. I brought southern style mooncakes that someone sent from Hong Kong. We also had steamed fish and fried noodles. It was simple but nice. 3 priests couldn't come as they had other engagements. 4 who came are first timers here. So it was a get-to-know-you session as well. We hope to meet more often this coming year ... unless some of us get transferred away.
 |
| Empty city on Yom Kippur |
So Yom Kippur has come and gone. A rather testy one because animal rights activisits continue to protest the treatment of chickens because orthodox jews believe their sins can be transferred to them and hence the orthodox jews become cleansed from sins. Sounds weird but that's what they believe. I think catholic confession is a lot more eco-friendly.
https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5023161,00.html
News is coming in of shootings in Marseille, France and Las Vegas, USA as well as a car ramming in Canada. I don't see any lessening of violence despite Trump's tough talk. Sad to say but now Europe and mercer understand what we're experiencing here in Israel for years. But I doubt the West will ever learn.