Saturday, October 7, 2017

O.L. of the Rosary

Palms at Municipality Square
It's Sabbath (Saturday) in Chol HaMoed (the interim days between the 1st and last day of Sukkoth). That means the jews do not take the 4 species of plants and wave them while praying. Apparently it is considered work to wave them ... and on the Sabbath you are not allowed to work. The roads are quiet at the western side of Jerusalem ... but crowds of jews continue to walk to the Wailing Wall for prayers. Tomorrow morning roads in and around Jaffa Gate will be closed because the jewish priests will be giving their blessing at 9.30am and again at 10.30am at the Wailing Wall. Tens of thousands are expected to come from all over the country to join in this unique event. Though there is no more Temple and hence priests have no jobs (that's why rabbis are the religious leaders today, not priests) ... the only thing the priestly tribe (those surnamed Cohen) can do today is give the blessing.

Full moon over
Damascus Gate
I've been very busy working all day and didn't have a chance to go out except for a short while to buy some flowers for Our Lady's altar in our church. It's the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary. The roses I bought were not very fresh but they were still very beautiful: orange and beige coloured ones. They cost 3 shekels each ... which is cheap ... so I bought 10. Problem was during lunch Is aw them on our dining room instead of the chapel. It's our Dean's feast day - his name is Rosario ... so the indian sisters put the vase of roses on the dining room for the occasion. I think by now the vase should be in the chapel.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's Priestly Blessing at the Wailing Wall. I've told my students to attend and experience it. That means I'll need to wake up early. But I have a lot of work to do as well so I'll have to sleep late.