 |
| The Armenian building all lit up |
I went to the doctor today. It's a small clinic just behind the 5th Station of the Cross. And it's cheap ... the doc caters for the poor muslims living around that Quarter. I've been going to him for a couple of years now ... rather than going to our catholic hospitals and doctors. I know I'll get 1st class treatment and service at our medical institutions .... and that's why I don't want to go there. The poorest people will never have this access ... and I decided I have to live with the poor, like the poor: to line up for medical services which are not the best. But I get the necessary medical attention so that's enough for me. Anyway the doc (he's an old man) says it's time for my flu shot as the weather is changing. I get one shot in Spring and one in Autumn ... and he always reminds me because he knows my resistance is low. So I got a jab ... and some medicine ... all for 50 shekels.
 |
| 2 sukkah (booths) in the street |
Yesterdays sudden storm has brought the temp. down. For the last 2 nights I had my small heater on because it got really cold: 15 degrees and lower. It got so cold Buddy flew to my bed and slept under my blanket. My winter clothes are all out ... hoodies, shoes, jackets, raincoat. Winter is in ... and somehow I'm liking it. By the way, yesterday's rain made the Sea of Galilee rise by 1cm ... which is quite a big deal. But we're still 6cm below the red line so let's hope more rain will come. However many of the jewish sukkah or booths are washed down. They were meant to protect against dew and drizzle, not rain.
Meantime the Greek Orthodox Church is heating up with clashes and tensions between the Greek clergy and the arab faithful over the sale of church land and properties.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.816240
And a shocking bit of news for Sukkot ... some jews have been re-enacting the water sacrifice which took place 2000 years ago when there was the Temple and Altar. Strictly speaking it cannot be done until the Temple and Altar were rebuild. But an extremist group ash been secretly doing it for the past several years and they have done it again yesterday. This ritual is not simply a purification but a plea for rain.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.816271