 |
Dark clouds and wet streets at Herod's Gate |
This morning it drizzled for many hours. Wasn't too heavy but it did wet the ground significantly and people were wearing woollen jumpers and hoodies. Tourists of course were prepare with raincoats and umbrellas ... which no local would ever use. Apparently in the north it rained quite heavily and caused flooding in several cities. I had to go out to do an errand this morning and found the streets very slippery. Dark heavy clouds hung overhead and the drizzle at times could have counted as rain. I went in and out through Herod's Gate because it is less of a hill, unlike Damascus Gate, and therefore less slippery steps to navigate. And I was surprised on y way back that there were armed soldiers perching on the turret of Herod's Gate. Lucky there was no lightening. Anyway the forecast for the coming week is winter weather. Temperatures will plunge and rain will continue to pour in the north. If we're lucky, we might get more drizzle in Jerusalem.
http://www.jerusalemonline.com/news/in-israel/local/israel-prepares-for-winter-as-heavy-rain-and-floods-strike-the-north-32066
 |
Half moon over the City Walls |
One thing has been irking me for the past year and now I have to let it out: the English language in newspapers are appalling. Over and over again, from USA to Singapore, I read "shuttered" as the past tense of "shut". Today in HaAretz, the headlines was "pled guilty". That broke the camel's back. I must have my word on this: The past tense of "plead" is "pleaded", not "pled"; the past tense of "oblige" is "obliged", not "obligated"; the past tense of "shut" is "shut", not "shuttered". Don't tell me the English language is evolving .... no it is not!! It is devolving!!!!!
The Defense Minister has called for all terrorists' homes to be razed to the ground. Well it is actually in action. But jewish terrorists who kill arabs do not receive the same punishment. I wonder why.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liberman-calls-for-razing-homes-of-terrorists-who-wound-israelis/
Yesterday the ultra-orthodox waged war on soccer fans coming home from a match. The ultra-orthodox also clashed with conservative and progressive jews who held a Sabbath celebration ... obviously not according to the ultra-orthodox standards. And the ultra-orthodox attacked shopkeepers who opened shop on the Sabbath. Watch the video:
https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5035108,00.html
https://www.timesofisrael.com/ultra-orthodox-protesters-soccer-fans-clash-in-jerusalem/