Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Sinai is on red alert

The report on the renovation of the Holy Sepulchre (actually the Empty Tomb) has finally be published and an abbreviated version with lots of pictures was given to our library. In the section presenting the history of the Empty Tomb, there is a very interesting illustrated chart which I've posted below. For the first time it's been clearly explained and we can now understand the different layers of stone better. It's fantastic.


Blocking highways seem to be the trend these days: ultra-orthodox blocked Highway ! because of the arrest of one of their kind for evading military service, workers blocking the same highway because their contracts are not secure, now we have workers from the Haifa chemical plant blocking the highway because the company is threatened by environmentalists and residents with closure.  http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4941663,00.html

Israel this morning issued the highest alert possible on the Sinai Peninsular. Absolute no go for anyone during this Easter and Pesach season. However the Salesian Seminary College will go ahead with an excursion there despite Israeli warnings. I think it's too risky and so does every religious here in Jerusalem and Cairo. I just hope it's not a mistake they'll live to regret.  http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Israelis-warned-of-increased-ISIS-threat-abroad-ahead-of-Passover-holiday-485312

Roly Keating CEO
of the British
Library at our
library
Yesterday the CEO of the British Library came to pay us a visit ... with an entourage from the Library as well as directors of the Israeli National Library and the Museum. It was an honor. The British Library is very prestigious and has helped us in the digitalization of our ancient archives. I hope the collaboration will continue further.

Meantime my back is less painful as I managed to sleep 4 hours last night. It was a rest that my aching back needed. The asthma so far is under control. The weather as well is getting warmer. I still do get dizzy spells and nausea but not as often or strong as last week. Perhaps the retreat I made last Saturday was what I needed ... retreat from Jerusalem and work and lots of nasty people who give me problems.