Sunday, March 26, 2017

4th Sunday of Lent

Celebrating the
Sacred Liturgy at
the Armenian
Catholic cathedral
It's the 4th Sunday of Lent. I didn't go to the Vigil at the Holy Sepulchre as I returned home from retreat very tired. I slept for several hours till about 3am when I woke up ... not because of asthma which I have not had since I changed my medicine  ... but because it was cold. One of my heaters had broken down after 4 years of use. And with only one other heater working, the room remains quite chilly during the nights.

Instead I presided the Surp Badarak or armenian liturgy at the 3rd Station of the Cross this morning ... as I have been doing throughout this month. Offered the Mass for all of you there. The armenian families are returning since I started presided because I celebrate the Mass partly in armenian and the laity wanted that.  The other priest who usually celebrates the Mass does it in italian which no one except the 2 nuns understand. Even some of the families bring their children along. It's good to see them coming back to Church. And I have rounded up my students from the Salesians and White Fathers' seminaries to come and help. I've taught them to sing in armenian, and 2 serve as my acolytes and 2 others as lectors. They enjoy it very much.

Our Custody has posted a news online about its housing project and how your Good Friday offering helps in this. Many catholic families too poor to own a house will be given free apartments.  https://cmc-terrasanta.org/en/video/a-house-for-the-christians-of-the-holy-land-12659.html

Israel has turned its clocks to daylight saving. But Palestine isn't. And it's just across the road. 2 time zones just several metres apart. Tourists visit Israel at one time zone but when they enter Bethlehem or Jericho they must switch an hour back because their meals are served at Palestinian time, and so are the Masses.   http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.779320

And the Tourist ministry has reported today that chinese tourists have jumped 69% and they are spending also 69% more each day than tourists from any other country. The chinese are keeping the tourist industry afloat.  http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4940337,00.html