Monday, March 27, 2017

Of planes and pastries

Cathay Pacific landed its first aircraft in Israel today. With flights from 2 companies (El Al and Cathay) now direct from Hong Kong to Israel, we expect more tourists this summer. Asia is where the money lies ... and the tourist industry is not going to let this slip by especially now that tourism from Europe and America has slipped to a very low point.  http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4940848,00.html

Delicious pastries
from Qadosh
It's Monday again ... and today is especially tough for me because it's my turn to preside at the community Mass. With lessons ending at 6am and Mass at 6.30am I barely have 15 mins to rush to church and prepare the altar and other stuff. And being Monday it's also laundry day so I have to pack the laundry bag at that time before it's transported to our laundry in another part of town. Everything to be done in 15 mins. No wonder my poor heart is taking a beating from all this.

Yesterday I went out to the New City for a walk ... actually to accompany our Indonesian friar to buy a pair of pants. He didn't know where to get one. Along the way we stopped by Qadosh, an established bistro which is famous for it's pastries as well. I just had to go in and take a picture of their famous tarts and biscuits. They're all freshly baked; none of the frozen stuff that most restaurants offer.

Last night I had to rush off to the Chinese Sisters convent as they had some important news for me: their Superior General and her council had met an accident on the highway in Hebei. They had been to another part of the province for the solemn profession of vows by one of their sisters. On the way home the car skidded and fell some 100 m. down the slope. Luckily no one was killed but everyone was injured and are in hospital.

My back is hurting very much today. I think it's because of carrying my heavy backpack everywhere I go. In this strange weather, I must carry an extra jumper because temperatures may fall 10 degrees within minutes; then I must carry all my medicines with me. They don't seem heavy but they actually do.