Sunday, March 5, 2017

1st Sunday of Lent

The Ap. Admin. in procession at
Jaffa Gate
Another busy Sunday. Had to preside at the Liturgy at the Armenian Catholic Cathedral. But this week I came prepared: organised a choir of my students. Taught them the prayers and hymns in armenian. So the liturgy went smoothly ... except for a few mistakes because the organist was not totally there ... missed 3 hymns ... resulting in awkward silence. There was the distribution of ashes as well.

After Mass, we bumped into the procession bringing the Apostolic Administrator of the Holyland (we have no patriarch for the moment) - who was our former Custos - back to the patriarchal palace. Managed to say hi to him. It's been a long time since we met.

Restored Tomb of Christ
last night
The Lenten rigours have started. Last night at 11.40pm the friars had to gather at the Holy Sepulchre for the Divine Office and procession around the Empty Tomb. It was quite different because the Tomb has just been restored. The steel girdles that once used to hold the Tomb together have been removed, new marble covered the Tomb, and the dome above had new blue and white tiles. It looks magnificent. By Easter all the scaffolding will be removed and the Empty Tomb will be open to everyone in all it's restored glory. Really great!

Today there's not been any serious news in the newspapers ... so life goes on as usual. The weather has turned again ... bright and sunny, hot even. The new medication is doing wonders for me. 72 hours now and I have not had one asthma attack, no need to use the puffer though I carry it along for emergency. I can walk 1 km without being breathless and chest pains. I'll have to keep this new regime up and pray the body doesn't react adversely to this new medication in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed.