Thursday, March 23, 2017

Doctor needs doctor

At the Emergency Clinic last night
Yesterday I was feeling quite sick ... must be the heart as I had no strength to walk. There was a heaviness over the chest. I called my doc and he came after work from Tel Aviv (60 km away). But as he alighted from the Light Rail he tripped and fell, breaking his left forearm. I was up in the clinic at that time but he managed to call me with his right hand. I rushed down to the main street below ... and it wasn't difficult to find him because 3 mobile emergency units (motorbikes) were racing up the road. When I reached him the 3 medics were testing his arm to see how severely injured he was. They put it in a sling and told him to get to the closest hospital as soon as possible as he had refused an ambulance. Being a stranger to Jerusalem, he didn't know where the closest Kupat Holim clinic was, so I had to bring him there. That's 4 stations away by the Light Rail. The Kupat Holim is one of the main health insurance agencies here, and they have their own clinics (even emergency units) but not hospitals. It's meant to help relieve the load of patients in the hospitals, and only those holding Kupat Holim insurances can use it because the insurance covers it.

Concert at Tsahal Square last night
Well I was with him for 4 hours from 6pm to 10pm. When his girlfriend came from Tel Aviv, I went home. I walked over 4 kms back home, very hungry and still ill as no doctor had attended to me (I'm not a Kupat Holim holder). Halfway home I saw the "Thai" restaurant still opened so I bought a plate of fried rice to eat. It was almost midnight when I got home. Utterly exhausted. Anyway I called my doc today to see how he is. He's back in Tel Aviv in hospital and he may need surgery. Well I can only say how lucky he is because had he fallen when a train was passing, that would have been it.

Billy and his wife were calling me all evening because they had boiled herbal soup and wanted me to pick it up. I only managed to go this afternoon to get it. They were very kind and gave me rice as well as they saw I was tired and hungry. I still have to teach 2 hours now and later 2 hours more of adoration and confessions with the nuns. Its a tiring day. Hopefully I can go straight to sleep tonight. No more drama .... please. Enough for one day.