 |
| Headless sheep |
So Ramadan begins tonight. The canon fired the traditional 5 shots announcing the start of the month-long fast. Streets are decked with lights. Restaurants and food shops close down, and thousands come from around the country and Territories to the Al Aqsa Mosque. There was some tension at Damascus Gate in the afternoon I was told. I only saw mounted police coming into the City ... and that usually means trouble. Israel is easing travel restrictions for muslims to come to the Al Aqsa during Ramadan.
http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-eases-west-bank-travel-restrictions-for-ramadan-1.452509 I saw some slaughtered sheep ready for the market ... it's going to be a feast tonight for most muslims.
Meantime we got news of the death of Moshe Silman, the protestor who set himself on fire last week. A very sad case of bureaucracy over mercy.
http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/moshe-silman-dies-after-self-immolation-at-israeli-protest-1.452513
The heatwave is still hitting us like a tonne of bricks. Yesterday morning was 37 degrees! The afternoon was worse. It was well over 42 degrees.
I had a chance to meet Malek again this afternoon after 2 days. He's part of a swedish youth group visiting the Holyland but originally they are all syrians. Malek has a fantastic voice and I got him to sing the Our Father in aramaic - the language of Jesus - in our Condemnation Chapel. Here's a part of it.