Thursday, July 5, 2012

Bomb scare

Police blocking the road
The road from the 3rd Station up to our door was closed off last night because of a suspected bomb. No one could pass through ... and I was returning home after a farewell dinner for Leonardo. Got stuck there. Talked to the police and finally convinced them that it's only a short distance. The police told me "Run! Hurry!" And the arabs standing around were all cheering and shouting "run run". I was the only one allowed to pass through. A Greek Orthodox monk who came out was told by the police to go back in. And a couple of our friars coming out were also told to return back. Actually I wasn't sure what was happening as they never explained why the road was closed. But I noticed an arab friend standing among the crowds so when I got home, I called him to ask what was happening. He laughed and said "bomb! bomb!"

That's life here ... so reminiscent of the 1st and 2nd Intifada. Never a dull moment.