Monday, December 3, 2007

St. Francis Xavier

Yesterday afternoon was dark and dreary - it rained and stopped and then rained again and stopped. Fr Stefano de Luca, the archaeologist of Magdala, called me during lunch to say he's in Jerusalem and wants to shop around Salahadin Street and would like me to come along. I didn't feel like it but went anyway; walked a full circle round the streets of East Jerusalem, some streets I never knew before. Bought a reading lamp for 60 shekels which I thought was pretty expensive, but it was the cheapest around here. The shop-keeper of the restaurent opposite the shop where I bought the lamp, suddenly ran out scolding lots of bad words in arabic. Everone else ran out to the street to see what had happened. Apparently someone ate his lunch there and ran off without paying the bill. Pretty bold to do such a thing in broad daylight.

At 7pm I went out with Fr Vincenzo for a pizza as promised. He misses pizza; then again he misses food in general, because the village where he stays is so very poor, there is hardly anything to eat. He himself has lost several kilos. I got Osvalda to come along - but she was pretty grumpy having to walk over 2 km to the restaurent in East Jerusalem. Don't forget Vincenzo and Osvalda live in West Jerusalem; and Osvalda isn't young (ahem!) nor fit (She's given up dieting). Then Vincenzo scolded me because I forgot to invite Sr. Helene, an arab FMM sister who's our very good friend. She knew me since way back in 1992. But she is old ..... over 70 I think. She just came back from Rome for a holiday but caught a cold. Anyway she showed up at Zahara restaurent (zahara=flower), one of the best restaurents in East Jerusalem, keeping its colonial atmosphere with turkish architecture. Very lovely place. Back in 1995 when I and my classmates earned our licentiates (Master's degree), it was traditional for the licensees to offer a meal to the school. The 3 of us organised a dinner here at Zahara for 40 people; and the price was very reasonable (split by 3 of course!). And their pizzas are real italian stuff - none of those weird spangled "pineapple and ham" type of pizzas. Vincenzo had a Napolitana, Sr. Helene had a margarita, and Osvalda and I had greek pizzas. It was almost 9pm when we finished dinner. Walked home - actually at Damascus Gate Sr Helene turned right to go home and I turned left into Damascus gate to go to my home. Vincenzo had to accompany Osvalda back to Casa Nova uphill; which is pretty tough for her since her knees are not strong (she's very very heavy).

But back home, the night was absolute torture. Didn't sleep one wink because the bugs kept biting me. I have a ring of bites around my neck now - literally a full circle of bug bites all round my neck because it was the exposed part. I also have bites on my tummy and knees. it is really bad. I've had it with this bed. Believe me its not one or two but it's in clusters of 7 or 10 bites. You people can start sending me medicated oil or mopiko to relieve the itch and pain of these bites because there's no such thing here in Jerusalem. And please don't think: I better not send anything because others will be sending it - and the result is everyone thinks like that and nothing gets to me!!!!! (which is exactly what is happening) Hey I'm desparate ok? The itch and pain can literally drive me crazy; to the point of crying. There's nothing I can do to kill those bugs. Sprayed a whole can of baygon last night; applied a whole bottle of anti-bite medicated spray on my whole body, and they still keep coming. It's living hell. I've tolerated this for 3 months now, and this is it. I can't wait for another bed. I need to burn this bed immediately or the bugs will lay eggs in my clothes etc...

And St Francis Xavier? Well he better do a miracle to get rid of those bugs.