Another tough night fighting the bugs. But much better I must admit - I had help! The Missionaries of Charity (Mother Teresa's sisters) came to my rescue. I had to give them a talk as usual yesterday afternoon (actually I was late) and they saw the red patches spreading from my neck up to my head (yes even into my hair), so they gave me a very powerful spray for bugs, and two sisters came back with me loaded with new blankets and a sleeping bag. They took my blanket (over 15 years old and never washed, having passed many many owners) and bedsheets to wash (and beat I guess - there's one sister here who's famed for killing bugs I hear). So last night there were less bites, about 35. I'll have to sleep on the floor from now on till I get a bed - but it's freezing in winter so I'll have to figure out how to warm the floor. Anyway I think I'm developing a reaction to the bites - I'm getting a fever the past day and vomited once.
Lang called. He's from the youth group in Sydney and is now in Tel Aviv for a week to participate in an exhibition on architecture. He's having the weekend off so I'll be bringing him around the Old City. Unless I die from the bug bites first. I'm waiting for his call again to confirm the hour - hhmm like in the spirit of Advent ... waiting.
Had a shock this morning when they told me Fr Angelo died. He's a Japanese friar who used to work in the Holy Sepulchre. He went back to Japan for a holiday and died. I went off to the Holy Sepulchre to pray for him. Other friars who used to work there also came. We talked about this shocking news and reminded each other that it's Advent, so we all have to be prepared for either Christ's coming or our going to him. Probably me first - the bugs are lending a helping hand.