Saturday, December 22, 2007

Nice readings

Yesterday afternoon I had an extra lesson with the Missionaries of Charity - since next Monday I'll be out with the group. We had an hour's lesson on Matthew's and Luke's birth narratives and then had a little coffee and sing-a-long Christmas carols with the sisters. I can't call these sisters "penguins" because they have blue and white habits - which looks very much like the Israeli flag so I told them they're very patriotic.

Our chapel was very empty and cold for Vespers last night as most have already left Israel for their Christmas holidays. There're only 15 of us now and in the next 2 days another 5 or 6 of us will be out bringing groups. A Singapore group arrived and the leader called me; I have to go to their hotel to pick up some things tonight. Then tomorrow at midnight the HK group arrives and we'll be spending the 24th and 25th in Bethlehem.Then for the rest of the trip we'll be visiting most of the usual places (I think except one day when we actually will go into the desert to see the ruined cities of the Nabateans).

This morning was the last lesson before the Christmas holidays (10 days) but I didn't have any lessons so I cleaned out the birdcage. The weather is still cold but it stopped raining. Then there was alot of followup work on Fr Allegra's centenary celebrations. And did some photocopying as well.

Hope you found the "O" antiphon links interesting. The Office of Readings these few days are also very nice. You can visit http://www.universalis.com/readings.htm for the readings. It begins with 3 psalms and then a Bible reading and followed by a reading from an early Church Father - today is from St. Bede the Venerable who comments on the "Magnificat" of Mary. These readings especially on Christmas Day and the octave (8 days following Christmas) are very profound. Try and make your Christmas 2007 a little special and do a little of these readings!