Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Graffiti with a lesson

Yesterday's 1st reading for Mass brought alot of muffled laughter from the 20 concelebrants at our conventual Mass. It's from Isaiah 35 and one verse says "There will be no more lions...[in the way of the Lord]". That's my name - "LIONel". In italian they call me "leoncello" like a young lion. So they figured when the messiah comes, I'll have to disappear! Well, they can keep hoping but I'll make sure this verse doesn't come true!

The sun is bright and shining again - but believe me it's cold. I've just opened my windows and directly in front (besides our bell tower) of my view is the Dome of the Rock mosque. Most people believe it's the same place where the Jewish temple once stood but was destroyed in 70 AD and the mosque was built over it in the 7th century. Today's readings and psalms kept repeating the words "Your holy mountain" and "your holy Temple" and it struck me that I am living ON this holy mountain and the Holy Place IS directly in front of my window - I see it hundreds of times a day. And this got me thinking about Lang's little note he left me (secretly tucked away in a toothpaste box ...... it's a long story so don't ask why .... ). I had brought him to the Holy Sepulchre and showed him the place where an ancient Christian pilgrim (possible 2nd century) from Rome carved a graffiti on the wall of the Church saying "Lord, I have come!" Lang said this struck him throughout his stay in Jerusalem - that his spiritual journey has "arrived" here in the Holyland.

That was very profound. I wonder how many of us are still bogged down by the past with regrets or fearful of the future; and fail to appreciate the here and now. "Lord I have come" - come this far in life's journey; survived all the battles of life, scarred, wounded, but nonetheless arrived.... just like the ancient pilgrim. I think it is very telling of our present state of life if we try to add an adjectival clause to the statement "Lord I have come". Try it. What would you add? "Lord I have come" - to praise You? "Lord I have come" - with sickness and pain? "Lord I have come" - to ask you a favour? "Lord I have come" - ...................