Friday, September 23, 2022

Mooncakes

Mooncakes
 Yesterday was a day off work. I went to Jaffa very early at 4am to meet up with a friend who kindly brought over gifts from home. Mooncakes! While chinese factories in Tel Aviv make and sell mooncakes, it's of the northern variety that I don't eat. Full of nuts. now I have lotus paste with egg yolk mooncakes. Wonderful!!! We may be 2 weeks past Mid-Autumn Festival, but till its reason to celebrate when there're mooncakes in the Middle East!

It was good to be back in Jaffa early in the morning. It's crisp and chilly, and the salty sea air is very refreshening. The few short hours I spent there was enough to relax me ... not least because I don't have to breathe in dust from our renovation works. But I still had to return home. With the minibus running, I was able to get home by 12pm. Then being re;axed by the sea breeze, I slept for most of the afternoon ... recuperating the many lost hours of sleep in the night when I was choking and coughing from the dust.

Meantime the Jewish New Year starts Sunday night. There's been threats of violence if the jews are allowed to enter the Al Aqsa compound. Shots at several places in the country were recorded, and a guy was throwing granades, so it seems, from the syrian border into israel. He was shot. So we should be extra cautious these few weeks. Caught in a crossfire will be a great tragedy when you're innocent.