Monday, September 12, 2022

Anaphylactic shock

4000 people under a full moon
 Last Friday I had to go to Jaffa to concelebrate the Konkani feast of Montifest which is the birth of the Virgin Mary. it's a very big feast for them. And it didn't fail to surprise. Some 4000 people gathered in the football pitch of our school. The Mass lasted 3 hours as the preacher gave a one hour homily. There was supposed to be a meal after the Mass but because it ended past 10pm almost everyone left immediately. It was the Sabbath and only a few private buses were running to bring people back to the center of town.

However the Mass was outdoors and a cool breeze was blowing , and a full moon was shining overhead. A very beautiful sight. 

However when I got back to our house in Jaffa that night, I was very hungry. They offered me a piece of smoked salmon to make a sandwich, but I didn't know it contained allergens. I had an anaphylactic shock as a result. My eyes, throat and tongue swelled. I couldn't breathe. I was slipping into unconsciousness. I had to use my EpiPen for a jab of antihistamine and adrenalin but the entire night was dreadful. For the next 48 hours I suffered the effects. Today I still am wheezing, and breathing is very painful. And the renovations at home is not helpful. I was told to move to Jaffa because the renovation of the corridor will only be worse and I definitely will be very sick. The entire weekend was just medically horrible. I've not felt so sick in recent years. Now I'm very afraid of eating anything. I'm just sticking to brown rice and boiled veggies. It's scary to suffer an anaphylactic shock.