 |
| Clash at Bab Hutta |
The New Year Day past with clashes and violence in various place of the country, and especially here in and around the Old City. Jews were permitted to enter the Al Aqsa Compound under police guard and muslims began to protest. Clashes occurred and at 8am yesterday morning, I walked past an old man on the ground with a bleeding head wound. Old women were shouting slogans at soldiers passing by while Red Crescent workers and trying to get the old man into an ambulance.
In the evening, crowds of arab youths gathered at Damascus Gate to chant slogans and sing songs to provoke the Jewish crowds returning from prayers at the Wailing Wall. Police were on hand but
Today there were clashes again at Bab Hutta which is between my house and St. Anne's Church. Crowds of jews were massing around the alley that leads to the Al Aqsa compound, blocking the way for muslims to enter or exit. Police were forcing the jews back and scuffles resulted. It was 5.15am and I was on my way to the Ivrea convent to celebrate Mass. It was tense in the dark streets and people hurried to get out of the City.
 |
Muslims pray outside closed Gate |
At Herod's Gate, police had closed the entrance to all arabs below 50 yrs of age. The younger arabs started praying in the plaza in front of the Gate. I was allowed to go out but I wasn't sure if I could get back in. An hour later after Mass, I returned to Herod's Gate. Groups of students unable to prove they study in schools inside the Old City were left outside the City Gates waiting for teachers to identify them. Entry was still forbidden to those below 50 yrs of age. I took off my mask and the police let me in. Tourists are allowed to enter. I guess it will be like this for the next 3 weeks.