Monday, October 4, 2021

Transitus

Baldachin of St. Francis
 The past two days have been horrific. I've been having great difficulty breathing and blackout spells. Quite bad ones. Due to the lack of oxygen my body goes into spasms while I black out. I make sure I'm on a carpet and away from sharp edges of furniture so if I do blackout like the last time, I won't injure myself. Usually it gets better during the day after I've walked about and loosen the thick phlegm in my throat but the past two days were not like that at all. Maybe I have a bronchial infection because my upper chest is very painful. I'm feeling really sick with no energy and constant dizziness. I planned to go to hospital this Wednesday but I have no transport. Getting a taxi would cost 1000 shekels as it has to wait for me to bring me home. I'll have to figure how to get to Nazareth somehow ... when my headaches subsides.

Transitus of St Francis
Today is the solemnity of St. Francis of Assisi. The celebration of his passing is actually yesterday evening, called the Transitus. After solemn vespers, the account of Francis' death was read out, Ps. 140 was chanted as he requested, then his death marked by a darkened church (lights out) illumined only by the candles we held. Then the Canticle of Brother Sun was sung and the relic of St. Francis was brought out for veneration. It's always touching. I sat throughout the liturgy as I was feeling very ill.

Anyway while the rest of the Custody is celebrating, I'll be resting in bed. Hopefully this bout of illness will pass by tonight. Waiting for a miracle.