 |
| Busy market |
There's been quite alot of rioting today. Stun grenades and skunk water. Oppps there's another round of shots right now ... sounds like from the Al Aqsa compound. It's the muslim feast of Muhammad's birthday and many muslims from around the country are in the Old City to pray at the Al Aqsa mosque. Youths have decided to riot and protest around Damascus Gate and the police stepped in to disperse them. I couldn't get home from outside along the City Walls .... the clashes were just out there, so I walked through the alleys inside the City to get home, while avoiding the crowds in the main streets.
At our gate, the muslim boys and girls marching band came out in parade. I think it's the first time they're doing it. They started a bagpipe band as well and was trained by our Catholic Scouts bagpipe band. But this band didn't come out in parade ... I guess they were not prepared. Anyway it was a moment the muslims were proud of.
 |
| Boy Marching Band |
The main streets were filled hawkers selling everything. I had to cross from the alley through the junction of the 3rd Station of the Cross and Austrian Hospice, and it was filled with people and hawkers. I was afraid of catching Covid as no one was wearing a mask. While rushing through the crowd, I wobbled on a loose flagstone and twisted my left ankle. It's a little swollen and it hurts alot. I'm staying in bed now. Can't walk.