Friday, March 12, 2021

Way of Cross

Crowds at Damascus Gate
Thank goodness there was a storm last night. Temperatures plummeted to 4 degrees again (It was about 20 degrees in the afternoon yesterday) and today the highest was 16 degrees. The air was clear from all the sand and dust, and this morning though it continued raining, the air was breatheable. My asthma was much reduced as a result ... though I still wheeze and cough, at least oxygen was entering my lungs. 

The plants and flowers however took a beating from the rain. The wind was very gusty and many anemones which have weak stems have either lost their petals or snapped off their roots. That's a price to pay for clean air ... but the plants are robust and will spring back in a couple of weeks. i wonder how the 2 oak trees fared. They're at the Damascus Gate park and were flowering yesterday when I walked past ... long strands of yellow flowers dangling downwards. Very iconic for Spring. Towards the end of Summer, little acorns would be falling from the trees.

Flowering oak
Much as I wanted to stay home and recuperate, I was asked by the Custos to lead the official Friday Way of the Cross in mandarin. Surprising lots of people showed up ... though only 50 are allowed in public. There was no distancing ... which is impossible as the streets in the Old City are very narrow. I wore double masks to be careful. And as usual those young friars were rushing from one Station to another ... we have only a 50 minute allowance to make the devotion. I could hardly catch up, climbing up the hill to the Holy Sepulchre while reciting prayers. Anyway I managed to survive the whole thing ... and all the religious (there were very few lay people) wowed because it was the first time they saw me in habit and mantel. It was cold and windy. M. Teresa's sisters and Sr. Regina of the Spanish convent accompanied me home, and insisted on taking a photo with me. I guess they think I'll die soon ... as I've not worn the habit for many years. Anyway I prayed for all of you and your intentions at the Way of the Cross.