Friday, March 26, 2021

Recollection

Recollection Day
Rain, blustery winds and daytime temp, as low as 8 degrees. What a weather we're having. Last week hot humid sandstorm with temp. up to 26 degrees. This massive swings play havoc with your health. I'm just glad I had my flu shots in winter. I haven't had the sniffles all winter unlike most of the guys in my house.

Today I organised a half day Lenten recollection and afternoon excursion to some unknown spots around the Capuchin Friary where we met. It was good ... a small group of religious living in Jerusalem came. It was a trial run to see if it worked. 13 of us met up and we had a good time. The talk was appreciated and the excursion included St. Modestus monastery (ruins), Bible hill and the Herodian tombs. The rain and winds didn't dampen the group which insisted on continuing the trip. Bible hill was full of mustard shrubs in flower, wild barley and St. Anne's lace. I guess it's too early for the stunning red anemones as only a dozen were in blossom. usually the dot the entire hillside. The Herodian Tombs date to them time of Christ and still are intact with a large rolling stone over its entrance. 

Bible hill in the rain
The sisters and priests were pleased with a day out ... after 1 year of lockdown ... it was good to get some fresh air in the large grounds of the Capuchin Friars, even in the rain. A good stretch of the legs. We walked almost 5km back home. I was so exhausted I fell asleep and woke up late for our house meeting to decide on the timetable for Holy Week celebrations.

Holy Week starts in 48 hours. I'll not be able to join in many celebrations as I'm not vaccinated. A certificate of vaccination is requires for entering churches. I'm practically still under lockdown.