 |
| Sandstorm at dusk |
Already 3 days since I last posted? Unbelievable. Well that's how busy I am, I've lost all track of time. Also because I've been feeling very sick with asthma the past 3 days. There's a sandstorm blowing and today was especially harsh. Even in my room, I'm choking. I couldn't sleep for the past nights as I couldn't breathe. Was sitting up on my chair and struggling to get some oxygen into my lungs. And my eyes are itching because of the fine desert dust blowing over the country. And I have a terrible headache as a result of not sleeping. I stayed in my room all day till 6.30pm when I needed to go to the bakery and buy bread. Ran out of it. I walked very slowly, climbing all the steps at Damascus Gate to get to Musrara open market. The bakery is the last stall at the end of the street. I bought the bread and walked the long way home through Herod's Gate. I needed to stretch my legs but the sandstorm is not doing my lungs any good. Anyway the forecast is rain tomorrow. I sure hope so. It'll wash away the sand and dust from the air and my asthma would get better.
 |
| Sea bass and octopus!! |
At Musrara, all the shops and restaurants were opened. Crowds of muslims were eating and milling around ... it's Friday and most have come from outside Jerusalem to pray at the Al Aqsa mosque. Passing the butchery, there were lots of fresh fish on sale, as usual on Thursdays and Fridays. There was a huge octopus and 2 huge sea bass. And there were crabs and prawns ... I was thinking of all the dishes I could cook. After daydreaming ... I walked off. It's too expensive. 1 kg of prawns or crabs costs over US$15. Exorbitant.
Infection rates have dropped to its lowest since December (after the 2nd lockdown). It looks good. We might not have to be locked down again. Fingers crossed. More public places will be opened ... but only to green pass holders or recovered covid people. I'm not both ... so I'll be kept out from everything, including church services over 10 people. Holy Week will be quite a personal affair for me as I can't join the community