Thursday, October 25, 2018

Our Lady of the Holy Land

Full moon over St. Peter's Church
The rains have come ... all almost. The sky in Jerusalem is very overcast with dark rain clouds and the suburb of Givat Shaul was drizzling. A thunderstorm would be great .... but it looks unlikely now as the sun has suddenly broken through the clouds. But we're all still hoping. I was told that the next few days should be rain in Jerusalem. But weather-forecasters are seldom accurate in our region ... except for the drought forecast.

Vanilla ice cream today
This morning I had to leave very early for Tel Aviv. I had an appointment with the doctor to check on the operation, but before that I went to our church in Jaffa to concelebrate solemn Mass with my community at St. Peter's Church. The hospital visit instead turned out to be a 2 hour surgery. The bone graft is growing quite well, as the x ray showed. But I think they had to reposition the bone and also to deal with the surround teeth so that I don't catch an infection. Today I was alone and I had to take the bus home ... and walked 1km from the central bus station to my home. Good thing about this was I could buy a tub of vanilla ice cream to cool the wound. Half my face is drooping from the 4 injections ... and by the way they took out another 2 stitches. Anyway I'm half numb. Awful and tiring experience so I guess I'll rest for the afternoon and cancel my appointments.  

Today is the Solemnity of Our Lady of the Holy Land. Previously it was called Our Lady of Palestine ... but due to political developments, it was changed to Holy Land. I think the bishops had gone to the parish of Our Lady of the Holy Land in Deir Rafat in the central plains. It's an annual pilgrimage for local catholics during this feast.