Monday, May 7, 2018

Invention of the True Cross

Reliquary of the Holy Cross in the
Holy Sepulchre Basilica
The proper name for today's feast is the "Invention of the Holy Cross" .... which is not what it means. "invention" from the latin means "to discover / find". It's the commemoration of the finding of the Holy Cross by St Helena in the 4th century. It's not celebrated outside of the HolyLand as this event is practically forgotten or ignored. But it's very important for us here in Jerusalem, and this feast is kept by all the Orthodox Churches as a solemnity.

The cave where the Cross was found
There was solemn Vespers at the cave where the Cross was discovered by St. Helena. It still belongs to the Franciscans. Then at midnight there was vigils with the singing of the Office of the Hours. Then this morning there was solemn Mass at the same site. Later this evening will be 2nd Vespers. All our seminarians have to be there for the singing and processions, hence no school today. Which is just as well as I feel so tired. It' not just the Monday class that begins at 4am but the crazy weather.

The spot where the Cross was found
The weather is making everyone sick. Today is no better than yesterday. Overcast, heavy, humid but no rain. A few drops of drizzle but nothing else. Lots of thunder though. But no rain. In Tel Aviv there was a hailstorm. But here we had nothing but a lot of noise. Well at least I don't think there'll be those flash floods like last week that killed 10 students. My plan to go to the University where I teach was cancelled as I didn't feel it was safe to walk the 2 km should it start to rain. And I already am suffering from a cold.

So I stayed home and worked on the translation project. Hope it finishes successfully. Then I'll spend more time to sleep. Am just too exhausted.